Hopewell Borough Drug Possession Lawyer
Drug possession is one of the most frequently charged drug offenses in Hopewell Borough, New Jersey. Being caught by law enforcement with any type of controlled dangerous substance (CDS) knowingly in your possession will result in drug possession charges under N.J.S.A 2C:35-10. This is true regardless of whether your possession of the CDS was actual (i.e., you physically had the drug in your possession, e.g., in a pocket, backpack, etc.) or constructive (i.e., the drug was found in a place you alone had access to, such as a locked purse or trunk). Drug possession defense is one of the largest areas of our legal practice at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall. Our attorneys have over a century of combined experience defending drug possession charges in Mercer County, including the borough of Hopewell. To speak to one of our drug possession defense attorneys for a free initial consultation, call 609–683–8102.Common Drug Possession Charges In Hopewell Borough
Possession of CDS, including a prescription legend drug, without a valid prescription can lead to drug possession charges. Some of the most commonly charged drug possession offenses include, but are not limited to:
- Marijuana Possession. Being caught with any quantity (ranging from a few red hairs, to a few grams to pounds of marijuana) of marijuana in any form (be it herb, oil, hash, etc.) can land you with drug possession charges, even if it is only marijuana residue that is found in your possession.
- Cocaine Possession. Cocaine is a Schedule II drug that gets people charged with a drug possession offense.
- Heroin Possession. Heroin is classified as a Schedule I drug, which means that if you are found in possession of heroin by law enforcement you will certainly face drug possession charge.
- Prescription Drug Possession. Anyone who is caught by law enforcement in possession of a prescription drug and they do not have a valid prescription issued by a doctor can be charged with drug possession of a controlled dangerous substance.
- MDMA Possession . MDMA, Molly or Ecstasy is a popular drug used by young people at parties and clubs. It is a Schedule I drug that has landed many people in Hopewell Borough with drug possession charges.
The penalties associated with a drug possession conviction are serious. Simple possession of drugs other than marijuana generally result in a third degree crime under 2C:35-10 that is punishable by up to five years in jail and a fine that can be up to $35,000. Possession of a prescription drug can result in between 18 months and 10 years in jail, depending on the quantity of dosage units involved, with a fine between $10,000 and $300,000. Marijuana possession penalties depend on the quantity of marijuana that is found in your possession. For instance, possession of more than 50 grams of marijuana, or 5 grams of hashish, is a fourth degree crime that carries a jail sentence of up to 18 months and a fine of up to $25,000. Possession of 50 grams or less is a disorderly persons offense. For more information on this subject refer to Hopewell Borough Marijuana Possession Charges.
There are also a number of circumstances which could lead to enhanced penalties for drug possession charges. For instance, if the drug possession occurred near a school zone (i.e., within 1,000 feet of a school property or school bus), or if circumstances indicate that you had the intent to distribute the drug that was in your possession, you will face the above mentioned penalties as well as an additional 100 hour community service commitment.Call Us Now If You Need A Drug Possession Defense Lawyer in Hopewell Borough
Whether you have been charged with possession of an illegal street drug or prescription drug you need a skilled drug offenses defense lawyer to fight on your behalf in court. Our drug offenses lawyers have been handing drug possession defense before the Hopewell Borough municipal court and Superior Court for a long time. Contact one of the professionals at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall by calling (732) 286-6500 today for a free initial consultation any time 24/7.